Friday, February 26, 2016

Calligraphy Class + Blue Eye Brown Eye




If you follow me on Instagram you probably saw my post about taking a (beginner) calligraphy class last weekend. I've always had a fascination with beautiful handwriting. My mother has beautiful penmanship, very elegant -I remember admiring it as a little girl & I hoped that when I grew up I would inherit my mother's skill. Unfortunately, that didn't happen! While my handwriting isn't terrible...I wouldn't describe it as elegant either.

So for more than a year I've had my eye on this calligraphy class. It is held at my favorite stationary store, Chrips and Cheers. If you're ever in OKC you must go in there -it's right across the street from McNellie's Pub! They have the BEST selection of cards and the most beautiful stationary. I could spend hours browsing!

Anyway, the class is taught by expert calligrapher Lauren Essl of Brown Eye Blue Eye (check out her website, so cute!). Lauren travels the country teaching workshops and does custom design and calligraphy work as well.

When I first looked into taking the class, the cost scared me off. I wasn't sure I was ready to invest a lot of money on a "hobby" ...so I didn't sign up.

Rewind to four months ago, it was #shoplocal Saturday (the day after Black Friday) I was shopping for Christmas cards (at Chirps & Cheers) and I mentioned that I was interested in taking the class if it was ever offered again. As luck would have it, they told me they were offering the class in February and I could sign up! (the class sells out pretty fast so I was excited to be the first on the list -they hadn't opened enrollment yet!) 

Of course, after telling my mom she decided to sign up as well!

We had the most wonderful time! Lauren is such a good teacher -very patient and well spoken. We spent most of the class learning the basics (how to hold your pen, how to dip your pen, ink flow and pressure, lower case letters and connecting letters). Also, we went home with lot's of swag -including a calligraphy pen, nibs, tracing paper, ink, washi tape, etc.

I highly recommend the beginner class to anyone with a real interest in calligraphy. However, I must warn you -this is one of those skills that comes with practice. Remember learning to write as a little kid? Think about how much your handwriting has improved since then! Calligraphy is the same concept -right now I'm a little kid learning to write...it's awkward holding the pen, there are smudges and accidents...but soon it will come naturally! (so don't assume that after you take the class you will be ready to address hundreds of wedding envelopes or open an etsy shop! ha!)

Has anyone else ventured out into the art of calligraphy? I'd love to hear feedback about helpful tips & tricks!

Before we go, here are a few of my favorite things on the internet from the past few weeks:

-This Instagram post is so funny and so true!

-Adele pranked the Jamba Juice employees...love her!

-To the men I love, about men who scare me. #preach

-JetBlue came up with a brilliant marketing idea...loved watching this

-Another awesome Instagram account

-This pink bedroom is adorable, something I would have LOVED as a child!

One more thing -  I wrote this post a while ago but forgot to share it on Facebook! Oops!

Happy Friday Friends!

1 comment:

  1. Thank you it’s no doubt automated spam is a huge problem clouding blog posts. Its important to separate well meaning commenter’s with a website from those who did not even look at the material offered. I need to do this on a golf blog I own this will be a big help. I love the blog engine platform.
    Calligraphy

    ReplyDelete