Friday, July 24, 2015

Hindsight



This week I've been thinking a lot about how great hindsight is. The feeling when you can look back on something you've experienced and see the full story. Hindsight is the beginning, middle and end. In my experience, the ending is usually that "everything happens for a reason" place. When you've reached the end, you can look back and see the journey so clearly...and it's a good feeling. For example, my senior year of high school I really wanted to go to a large D1 university. My parents were against it. They convinced me to go to Southeastern, it was close to my grandparents and much less expensive. My first week of college was hard. There was a cricket infestation on campus (I'm not kidding, I would find those disgusting critters in my bed!) and I knew no one. It was a culture shock moving from a big city to a small town...and I resented it. Around the same time my grandmother was diagnosed with breast cancer. I had no idea that my freshman year of college would be the last year of her life...and that I would be living in the same town and get to spend that last year with her. I know my presence there brought her so much joy and comfort in her last year. We made so many memories that I will cherish forever...hindsight: my place was at Southeastern. It was totally a God thing. The beginning: resentment over not getting to go to the school of my choice, the middle: the fleeting moments with my grandmother, the end: the most amazing experience that brought me closer to God.

It's hard to remember hindsight when you're in the trenches. When things don't go your way and you're mad and angry. You feel blindsided and confused. But then something happens and it all becomes clear. Right now I'm waiting for hindsight.

It's hard to write a story about something when you're right in the middle of it. You don't know the ending and the beginning is so damn confusing. So all you can do is trust and have faith.

I came across this blog post and it really resonated with me. It you're waiting on hindsight, I highly recommend it.

Other things I enjoyed on the internet this week:

How bubbly water became a billion dollar business. I'm a sparking water junkie...I stopped drinking diet soda a few months ago and haven't looked back!
-Washington Post 

This female ring bearer stole the show at her mom's wedding. Adorable!
-Buzzfeed 

Ghosting, the ultimate silent treatment. Have you heard of "ghosting?"  I call it "falling off the face of the earth." Please my friends, never do this!
-The New York Times

Frigid offices, freezing women, oblivious men. I laughed out loud when I read this because it is so true! As I type this post, there is a space heater by my feet and a cardigan on my back. So funny!
-Washington Post

No comments:

Post a Comment