Thursday, May 28, 2015

May, Pit & Peak


This month has flown by...it's been filled with never ending rain, a few tornadoes, spring cleaning, traveling for work, art festivals, reading new books, discovering my love for zucchini (more on that in another post) and many, many dinners with friends and family. All in all, not too bad.

Here are a few pit & peaks of the month:

Pit:

-Living in a 100 year-old house is finally catching up with me. I have so many electrical problems happening, it's not even funny. Currently, 3 outlets & 1 light fixture (in my closet) are out. Picking out clothes in the dark is no bueno...also, I had a water leak in my bedroom wall. Apparently the wood around my window has rotted. The beautiful trees in my front yard have compromised my plumbing system (their roots are wreaking havoc on my drains). I hired a plumber "friend of a friend" to come out and fix the problem, only to be scammed out of $90...And to top it all off? I found a decomposing animal (it is so badly decomposed, I can't make out what it was...a squirrel? or skunk?) on the side of my house. Ahhhhhh!

Peak:

-Things are really great at work right now. I was recognized as an employee spotlight, received an award for a big project I spent two years working on and have been given several opportunities to shine. It's been a great month for my career!

Pit:

-The severe storms. I hate storms. I hate lightening. I hate tornadoes. I am a big scaredy-cat! I was caught in two tornadic storms (one while driving) this month. I wish I was one of those calm and collected people in a crisis, but this month taught me that when things get scary -I will run for the hills (or an underground shelter). I was a volunteer at a festival and the sirens went off. Instead of politely helping patrons to the shelter, I took off (running) in a panic and yelled at the top of my lungs "everybody! get underground!" It wasn't my finest moment...my co-workers are still laughing about it!

Peak:

-I became a Skimmbassador! By now most of you should know how much I love theSkimm (because I can't stop talking about it)...I get nothing for sharing theSkimm with you (well they might send me a reusable bag or some other promotional item... nothing life changing haha!). It's just something I believe in and am excited to share with my friends! Before Skimm, I was so misinformed on current events. I never really understood or cared about politics (or world news for that matter). I can't tell you how empowering it is to be "in the know." This may sound silly, but it's on the list of things that make me feel like a "grown up" -I was reading about the Patriot Act and thought to myself: "Hey look at me! I'm finally starting to understand this stuff!" Anyway, sign up here if this sounds like something you might enjoy :-)

Pit:

-I don't know when this one will stop "hurting" but every year, at the end of May, when all my teacher/college friends get off for summer break...I may or may not partake in a little pity party. I really really wish I still had a summer break. Being stuck inside on a beautiful day is the biggest bummer. Of course, it has rained every weekend so I haven't enjoyed nice weather since I-don't-know-when.

Peak:

-Summer is here! I may be stuck at work during the week but I have several fun weekends planned! It's time spent at the lake, weekend BBQ's, fresh watermelon, trips to the farmers market, home-grown tomatoes and a highly anticipated trip to the beach! Bring it on!

one last peak:

Here are a few of my favorite things on the internet this week:

-I love a good fixer-upper, this home makeover is unreal!!
 -Country Living

-This video is adorable...I wish I knew that guy in real life. He seems really cool! Also, I need someone to make one for me! "Love is all we need, share the love"
-Daily Liked

-"This guy sat in a cafe all day after being promised $300 and it turned into something amazing."
-Buzzfeed

-Mixed gender wedding parties. This is something I'd never considered & I love it. The people standing next to you should be those you love the most...who cares what gender they are!
 -Buzzfeed

-Momfirmations. The whole parenting thing really freaks me out...but then I read something so beautiful and hilarious, all at the same time. I think to myself  "man, I pray God gives me the gift of motherhood because I have to experience it...even if it is crazy and scary." 
-The Day Book Blog

-These graduation hats are awesome! (Also, it's good to see so many Harry Potter fans!)
-Buzzfeed

For kicks & giggles, here's my cap:


I can't believe that was 4 years ago! Oh my how time flies!

No comments:

Post a Comment