Friday, May 1, 2015

Asian Dinner Party

Last night I hosted my monthly book club. Each month we meet for a potluck-style dinner and discuss whatever book we've chosen to read. A few months ago we celebrated our third anniversary.

When we first began book club I didn't really know anyone in the group. I was new to Ada (well I had been living here for 6 months) and was invited to eat dinner after our town's annual Christmas parade. At dinner we began to discuss different books we were reading, I had just finished the Pioneer Woman's book & a few of the other girls had read it as well. (side note, I loved that book & highly recommend it to you hopeless romantics)... As the dinner was winding down, someone mentioned "we should do this again!" and alas, book club was born. I think there were 5 or 6 of us at the dinner that night. We each called a friend or two to invite to join in the book club. Today we have 13 girls. I can't tell you how much fun we've had over the last three years.

It is so hard to make friends (and keep friends) as an adult. We are all so busy and when we aren't busy we're tired...but having a monthly date, a day that no matter how crazy life is we all get together for good food and fellowship...well that's everything.

I know book club seems a little cheesy or nerdy, but it's not really about the books. It's about the friendships. We've been there for babies, weddings & some bad times too... -if you have a group of friends you don't see often enough...consider making a monthly club. Wine club?  Dessert club? Podcast club? Also, have each friend invite someone new to join in. That way you make new friends! I promise you will begin to grow closer to these people and eventually you will look around and see them eating takeout in your living room floor, tears in your eyes from all the laughter and you will thank God for these amazing women who bring so much joy into your life.

Okay I'm off my soapbox. Back to the party!

We don't usually decorate for book club, but you know me! I can't resist a good theme. I decided to go with the Asian theme because of my love for Asian food. *The book we read had nothing to do with the theme, I just really wanted to eat Chinese :-)

(We read Mindy Kaling's book: "Is Everyone Hanging Out Without me" -it was just okay. I enjoyed Amy Poehler's book so much more). 

I ordered the fans & chopsticks from Oriental Trading, everything else was picked up at Walmart or borrowed from a friend. We ate dinner on my coffee table (that way we could sit in the floor).







The "candy sushi" was so easy to make and was a big hit with the girls! It is just a rice crispy treat (cut in half, hot dog style), a fruit-by-the-foot fruit roll up & Swedish fish!  Easy peasy!



To my RDR girls: I love you all. Last night was so much fun, I can't wait for next month! xoxo! 
-Britt 

1 comment:

  1. It's really hard to pick out a venue out of so many good venues. Well, for me party halls in Boston MA worked well and I enjoyed a lot there. The facilities were good and input of every worker made my party more amazing.

    ReplyDelete