Tuesday, May 26, 2015

A Year Without Cable

This morning I was reading theSkimm and of course, saw the article about Time Warner Cable's merger with Charter, a top US telecom company...blah blah blah. (Basically cable companies are scrambling to recover from cord cutters (like myself) who pledged their loyalties to Netflix, Amazon, Hulu, etc).

Anyway, it reminded me that I've been meaning to tell you about my experience as a cord cutter, and hopefully persuade you into taking the scary leap into the land of no cable!



For the past year I've been living without cable (gasp! the horror!) and you know what? I don't miss it! 

Last summer I got really mad at my cable company for dropping several of my favorite channels from their lineup (of course their ridiculous prices continued to increase) and I decided it was time to part ways. Up until that point, I'd strongly considered cutting the cord but couldn't bring myself to pull the trigger.

There are few things I love more than snuggling up on the couch after a long day at work with my favorite shows...I wish I didn't love TV as much as I do, but I'm keeping it real: I can't live (alone) without it.

Image source

Also, I was worried about losing local news. Oklahoma weather (as most of you know) is extreme. One minute it's sunny, the next we're under a tornado warning (or flood warning). I knew that cutting cable would mean losing my local weather resource. 

So what has it been like without cable? 

Image source
Better than you could ever imagine.

The first thing I did was go out and buy an Apple TV. I originally tried a chromecast but decided I liked Apple TV better. It's nice having my iTunes account all in one place, not to mention you can use your iPhone as a remote with Apple TV. If you are interested in learning more about Apple TV click here. Like all Apple products, it's small & sleek. You can buy it at Walmart for $69 and it's easy to set up. 

(please note, you will need internet to use any of these services, I pay around $60 a month for internet)

I already had a Netflix account before cutting the cord...all I needed to do was subscribe to Hulu. Hulu is $8 a month and has all of my favorite shows available within 24 hours of their air time. Pretty cheap! 

In April I added HBO NOW to my subscriptions. They offer the first month free so I decided to give it a try. I just paid for the second month ($15) this week. This app offers the complete series of every HBO show! I've been watching Game of Thrones, The Sopranos and I finished The Jinx! -Love it! 

I ended up purchasing a HD antenna like this one from my local radio shack for access to local news/weather -the reception is really great! I watch the Today Show every morning as I'm getting ready for work. My only complaint: it's not very pretty and there are a lot of cords...however, it's a small price to pay for access to weather coverage in Oklahoma during the month of May! Can I get an amen?!

Are there any other cord cutters out there? Do you have any tips or resources that I haven't mentioned? If you are considering "cutting the cord" and have any questions, feel free to ask!

Oh! And to my fellow Game of Thrones fans...

SPOILERS!!!!!

*I really wanted Sansa to stab Ramsay with the wine opener! Ugh! Maybe next week...

***Update***I was asked about cost breakdown, here it is: I pay less now! I was paying $110 for basic cable (no HBO & no movie channels -not to mention the decline in channels being offered by the cable company do to "feuds" with the networks)...

Today, I pay around $91 a month! ($60 internet, $8 Netflix, $8 Hulu, $15 HBO) Also, Apple TV has several free apps like PBS (hello Downton Abbey fans!), world news and sports channels too!  

2 comments:

  1. We've been without cable for like 10 years now. At first, we just watched a lot of movies...but then, with Netflix and other subscription services, we've been able to watch a variety of things! The only things I've missed are not having to decide WHAT to watch and also the news. I'm so glad that you mentioned that HD antenna!!! I had never heard of those! Do they work no matter where you live?

    Over the winter we got a smart tv and a Roku. I love the free PBS app as well as Popflix and Acorn TV (a subscription service to British shows).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 10 years!!!! wow! You go girl!! I live in rural Oklahoma...so if it works at my house it should work anywhere! I will have to look into popflix & acron tv! I love the PBS app, I'm obsessed with anything the BBC produces. :-)

      Delete