Monday, April 13, 2015

Tulips, Tea, & Brittney Skins Her Knee!

I had big plans for this weekend. The weather was beautiful. Weeds needed pulling. Grass needed mowing. Home Depot was having a sale on mulch (5 bags for $10!) -I laughed out loud as I wrote that last sentence...When did I get so lame? I feel like Will Farrell's character in Old School...

"Well, um, actually a pretty nice little Saturday, we're going to go to Home Depot. Yeah, buy some wallpaper, maybe get some flooring, stuff like that. Maybe Bed, Bath, & Beyond, I don't know, I don't know if we'll have enough time”

Anyway, I had plans to *finally* work in the yard. My yard is out. of. control! It's like a jungle back there and I knew that I'd better get to because it is supposed to rain all week.

So Saturday morning I attended a "tea party/brunch" fundraiser for a local organization that (believe it or not) I am the president of.  I wanted to look nice. I knew I would be speaking in front of a group of impeccably dressed women and that can be a little scary.

Anyway, I put on my favorite skirt...the one I wore on Valentine's Day. 



I swear that skirt has magical powers...if it can make a single girl feel special and pretty on a day that everyone in the office gets flowers *but her* (read that again in Chandler Bing's voice...emphasis on the "but her" part)...a day that one might feel a little un-pretty...well the only explanation is magic.

So, I arrived to the brunch with my hair perfectly curled, donning my favorite skirt, a bold red lip to top off the look. I was feeling good!

The fundraiser was a huge success, everyone seemed to have a good time. 

Our theme was "Tulips, Tea, & Tables To See!" Several ladies (myself included) decorated tables for the brunch. Each table had a different theme. Of course, I chose Harry Potter.

Here's a few snap shots I took with my phone: 





Do you see the chocolate frogs? 




The china and crystal glasses belonged to my late grandmother. I was a nervous wreck about using them but in the end, decided they would offer an elegant touch to my Harry Potter theme. Not to mention, my Grammy would have been all over this type of event! She would have LOVED decorating the tables and dressing to the nines...I smile just thinking about all the little functions she took me to. Brunches and teas and lunches. She always dressed me in these darling outfits and showed me off to her friends. I know she would have loved the Tulips and Tea Party.

Following the brunch, I carefully packed the table decor. Ensuring the safety of my beloved china, I wrapped each plate, saucer and glass in individual tea cloths. 

The last item to take to the car would be a basket filled with wine and cake balls -something I won in the silent auction. It was going to be my reward for finishing all of the dreaded yard work. 

I said my final farewells and headed to the car. I was so pleased with myself. I won the cake balls! My table looked just like I'd envisioned! I didn't break or chip any china! 

And that's when it happened.

I felt my feet buckle underneath me. "Dammit! I missed a step!" My basket of cake balls and wine went flying out of my arms. My knees hit the concrete first. Hard. I didn't have to look, I knew the wine was gone...I could smell it. "Oh no! My wine!" 

Women came running over help me, one of them screaming "Oh my god!"

I was surrounded by shards of glass, from the wine. My knees bloody, from the concrete. 

Someone asked: "Are you okay!? You broke your wine!" 

I replied in the most pathetic, whimpery, voice: "I know I did!" 

I did that thing where you jump up and pretend like nothing happened, smile through the pain..."I'm fine!" except I took one step and I knew I wasn't. 

Tears tickled the back of my eyes, a lump forming in my throat. What minutes earlier had been a graceful stride, my walk had now become a limping shuffle of high heels and bloody knees.

As soon as we got out of earshot of the other women, my best friend Susan asked if I was okay, I croaked out an honest "no." 

Everything after that was a blur.

Wanting to flee the scene, I packed up my car as quickly as possible...only to realize I've misplaced my keys. The car doors were locked "Crap!" 

I made the walk of shame inside to look for them...nope nowhere to be found.

I hitched a ride home and grabbed the spare...went through the entire contents of my car and still couldn't find my damn keys. As it turned out, they had been inside the whole time...

My knees and ego are still pretty bruised.

And the yard work? Well the yard work can kiss my ass. I sat on the couch and watched Netflix all weekend!

Here's to healed knees and a better week ahead!

-Brittney

1 comment:

  1. Oh no!! At least you looked fab and your table was 100% gorgeous, classy, Harry Potter! You have a gift, my dear :)

    ReplyDelete