Wednesday, March 18, 2015

Book Review: Yes Please!

Something to know about me, I'm not a huge comedy fan. 

If I'm planning the perfect "night in" my movie choices would include a heart pounding thriller or romantic love tale that inevitably ends with me clutching a box of Kleenex

Don't get me wrong, I love "Old School," "The Ringer" and anything with Vince Vaughn, but for the most part I tend to lean towards the serious subject matter in my viewing pleasure.

When choosing books, I gravitate to genres that provoke deep thought. Sheryl Sandberg's "Lean In" spoke to my soul. I hang onto every word written by Jane Austen. I swear Mr. Darcy is going to knock on my door any day now...

So when my book club chose to read Amy Poehler's "Yes Please" I wasn't thrilled. I don't really enjoy autobiographies and I don't follow Amy Poehler. 

I put off reading it and finally decided to buy the audio book. The audio is narrated by Amy Poehler herself and let me tell you, it had me in tears! I finished the book in three days. I couldn't turn it off!



I listened to it in the car, in the shower, while I got ready for work...it was absolutely hilarious

Here's the weird part: I related to her. Don't ask me how, it really doesn't make any sense because she's from Boston, an introvert, a potty mouth, a middle aged mother of two, a divorcee, she isn't shy when talking about her past drug use or sexual encounters...she is everything I'm not.... but somehow I could relate to her.

She spoke about her failures, her insecurities, her regrets. She told behind-the-scenes stories from her days on SNL and Parks. She talks about the pressures women put on each other and says this is her motto:

Image Source


^^Isn't that true?

At twenty six years old, I've been experiencing a lot of societal pressure on my personal life. I swear Oriental Trading sends me their wedding catalog at least once a month. Last week, Target sent me a discount coupon in the mail. I was SO excited! I'm finally going to pull the trigger on that bar cart! But then I realized the coupon was only valid if I use their bridal registry ::insert curse word here::

Married with two kids that keep me up all night long:

"Good for her, not for me." 

And then there's this quote:

Image source


If you know me in real life, you can understand why this quote might make me smile. ;-)

So my friends, I implore you to get this book. Actually, get the audio book. Amy offered a raw interpretation that you'd otherwise miss. Also, the intimacy of Amy reading her life story to me, like it was just the two of us on a long road trip, was epic!

In other news, I'm choosing our next book for book club & I NEED your help! Please, I'd love to hear your suggestions. This book is a hard act to follow and I want something good!

Xoxo!
-Britt

No comments:

Post a Comment