Monday, November 3, 2014

Doll House, progress

It's been a while since I've given an update on the doll house. My decor progress is moving at a snail's pace, but that's okay. Staying committed to the idea of "creating a living space that is meaningful and authentic to me" is something that takes time -this means I only purchase things I absolutely love. 

So here's what I've been up to:

I've made a few changes and additions to the breakfast nook!


I believe this is what it looked like last time I showed it to you. 

Since then, I've changed out the fabric on the bench cushions. After living with the red stripes for a few months, I decided that they were a little too busy for this small space. Not to mention, the fabric started to loosen up quite a bit.

You will never guess what inexpensive alternative I used to recover them:


Painter's drop cloth! I love how it turned out! I recovered the entire bench for $10. The fabric is very sturdy and isn't going to stretch when sat on. Also, if someone spills red wine? No worries! I will pick up another drop cloth and cover it again! At that price point, it's practically disposable!

Another change in the breakfast nook is this darling white table:



It was a craigslist find. I would've loved to keep it in the dark wood stain (I never took a "before" picture), however, it was pretty banged up. The top was covered with water stains and scratches. A fresh coat of white paint made all the difference!

Moving on to the bathroom, this is what it looked like last time we spoke. 

I've been searching for some artwork to hang in here and I finally found it at a local esty shop


This print couldn't be more perfect. I think every girl should see this before looking in the mirror, don't you? 

Also, I love the way it looks with my chandelier, they really compliment each other. 




Another teeny tiny update is the trinkets on the edge of the bathtub. I'm not finished, I'd like to add something like this or this, but it looks better!



This white coral is a souvenir I picked up on a trip to visit my grandfather in Galveston. Every time I look at it, I think of that trip and how much fun we had.

Speaking of the trip to Galveston, I've added an update to my bedroom that was inspired by that very trip.

While in Galveston, I took sever photos of the sea birds (you can see them here). A loved one painted one of my photos and gave it to me as a housewarming gift.

I've had a hard time deciding where to display it. It's been in my guest room, my guest bathroom and even the main bathroom (pictured above).

I've finally decided that it should live in my bedroom. I didn't realize it until recently -but it has several hues that work really well in my room.


For instance, the blue frames next to my bed are almost identical to the blue in the painting.


At first, I planned on hanging it above my nightstand (opposite the blue picture frames).


But I wasn't happy with how the lamp overlapped the painting. Also, it looked awkward when I tried to hang it above the lamp.

So I moved it to the opposite wall, next to my chest.


 I am so happy with how it looks in this space. The frame really complements my furniture and the over sized white mat is the perfect statement.

All in all, I haven't done anything major. But a few small details go a long way in making this house a home. 

One last thing before I leave you, I couldn't resist sharing my Halloween mantle!


It's hard to believe Halloween has already come and gone!

Right now I'm busy getting my house ready for Thanksgiving (because I'm hosting this year!) -Say a little prayer for me!

Happy Monday!





No comments:

Post a Comment