Thursday, March 20, 2014

The Breakfast Nook Banquette

I've been dreaming about this banquette since the first time I walked through the doll house. It's the only project I've been 100 percent sure about.

The only problem? I had noooo idea how to build a banquette so that meant I would need to hire a pro to help me out. Also, the house needed a lot of attention in other areas so it wasn't at the top of my "to do" list (or my budget for that matter).

But a few months ago, I decided to take the plunge! I spent a lot of time looking for a "pro" who could build the bench for me. I asked several friends for contacts and never seemed to find someone who fit within my budget or time frame.

In the mean time, my stepdad was working on refacing the cabinets in their new lake house. My mom sent me several pictures of the cabinets and I was very impressed! Why hadn't I thought of this before? Ron was handy! Maybe he could build the bench!

After a few weeks of begging and pleading, Ron agreed!

This is what the nook looked like before:


I sold the table and chairs on our local facebook yard sale site. -Do any of you have something like this in your area? I think it's a little safer than craigslist. It's a public forum. Everyone can see your (real) name and your communications.  

I gave a little sneak peek on instagram before it was painted...but it's finally finished and I love the way it turned out!


The cushions were easy to make! I think it took me and my mom 30 minutes to do them both!


We used this no-sew tutorial.

Another thing I love about the banquette is the extra storage!


Because the storage isn't easily accessible (you have to remove the pillows, cushions and the lid), I plan on storing seasonal items. -which means I can buy more seasonal Christmas decor! Yippee!

If you recognize the pillows, it's because they used to live on my couch.


I guess I'm on a red stripe kick (remember the table runner?) I can't help myself... I love the good ole' red-white-and-blue!

Another small update: the curtains.

I wasn't happy with them. I thought they looked a little sloppy. Here is a picture of what they looked like before:


I picked up some curtain clips (on clearance) from BB&B and it is amazing how much better they look!


My next update will be replacing the existing light fixture.


I'm replacing it with a pendant light. I ordered it this week (free shipping on St. Patrick's Day!) and as soon as I get it up I will post the pictures!

It's all coming together!


I'm still shopping for a round pedestal table. I'd love something like this from Restoration Hardware but I refuse to pay that much for a little table! So I will probably find something similar and paint it white...

Anybody else working on projects around the house? I'm thinking about moving my focus outdoors! After all, it is the first day of spring! I'm seeing a lot of sweet potato vines in my future!

Happy Spring!

2 comments:

  1. I am SO impressed. I'm seriously in love with your house!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Makes me want to re-do our kitchen!

    ReplyDelete