Tuesday, March 25, 2014

One Dolla Plates

The kitchen is my least favorite room in the doll house. The laminate countertops and metal backsplash make me cringe. I dream about running into Alison Victoria at Lowes and being on Kitchen Crashers. Unfortunately, HGTV doesn't scout in Ada, Okla. Also, we don't have a Lowes...so the likelihood of that happening is zero!

As a result, I've been holding off on making any decorating choices in the kitchen. I plan on replacing the countertops and backspalsh (I'm envisioning subway tile!) down the road (like YEARS down the road) but until then, I have to make due with what I've got.

My new banquette seating has motivated me to start tackling the kitchen.


I love the red ticking stripe with the blue & floral accents. I've decided to use primarily blue and white in the kitchen, however, there will be a few small accents of red.

Last weekend I went to a local antique store (going out of business). It was their last day open so everything was a dollar!

I picked up several Churchill England saucers. They remind me of my late grandmother. She loved blue and white chinoiserie dishes. Her kitchen was filled with them! I remember eating cereal out of the bowls and pecan pie on the dessert plates. So when I saw them at the antique store I couldn't resist.


I hung a few over the stove and they have made a world of difference!

As much as I detest the metal backsplash, I love seeing these little plates. Every time I walk by, I think about my Grammy. I know she would love them too!

Another change in the kitchen, I've decided to switch to wooden cooking utensils. They look better (sitting on my countertop) than the black utensils and they seem to last longer. I still have some rubber utensils stored away in a drawer. Also, I picked up a little tea pitcher to use as a utensil holder.


I know these changes seem small but they go a long way into giving life to my otherwise bland kitchen.


Here is a shot of what the kitchen looks like now:


-Remember my instagram display

I still have a long way to go but I'm making progress!

I'm not sure what to do with the space under my keurig...Currently, it's where I store the trashcan (I didn't think it would be pretty in the picture so I took it out!).  The previous owners had a small stool there and used it as a little desk. I considered doing the same, but I knew that I would never use it.

If you have any ideas on what to do, please please let me know!

No comments:

Post a Comment