Wednesday, March 19, 2014

Creepy Guy

It was 5:30 a.m.

I woke up to the sound of a man’s voice: “turn off the light! Turn off the light!”

My eyes darted open.

It sounded as if he was standing right outside my bedroom window.

Groggy and unsure of whether or not it was a dream, I looked out the window. Nothing seemed out of the ordinary. It must have been a dream.

I got out of bed to use the bathroom and I heard a car door shut. The sound came from the house next door.


“That’s strange, no one lives there…it’s being remodeled.”

Surrounded by the darkness of my bathroom, I looked out the window.

Everything was so still outside.                      

The moon lit house appeared to be empty. I could see straight through it to the house next door.

I could feel my heart beat.

“Someone’s out there, I know what I heard”

Suddenly, a man walked past my window.

A chill went through my body.

I ducked under the window.

“Had he seen me?”

He was wearing a hoodie with a baseball cap. I couldn't see anything but the outline of his body as he walked by.

Feeling brave, I peeked through the window once again. I saw him get into a white van and drive off.

I tipped toed back to my bed, scared.

My mind racing.

“What was he doing? Obviously, something illegal…It's a construction site so maybe he was after tools or copper? (gasp) or maybe he was disposing a body?”

“What if he saw me watching through the window?”

“Why didn't I take my dad's advice on getting a gun?”

“What will he do to me?”

“Maybe the witness protection program would take me in?”

I spent the rest of the night wide-awake. Lying in bed pondering what I'd seen.

I felt like a little kid who’d just woken up from a scary dream, I wanted nothing more than the comfort of another human being lying next to me.

Eventually, my alarm went off and it was time to start the day.

I still have no idea what that man was doing next door.

I’m probably being paranoid…but I don’t like having strangers lurking near my house in the middle of the night.

The next day, I ran into the contractor working on the house. When I told him what I’d seen, he knew nothing of it; his team wouldn’t have been there at that time.

When I bought the doll house, I knew there would be obstacles (Like the pipesfreezing). I knew I would be pushed outside my comfort zone (like texturizing the walls in my bathroom).

But I never, ever, thought about things like being scared in the middle of the night.

I’ve lived alone before and it’s never bothered me. Maybe it's because I've always lived in an apartment, sharing a wall with my neighbor? If I screamed, they would hear me. But living in a house is different.

What would I do if someone broke in?

The thought is horrifying.

Being a homeowner is one of the most rewording experiences of my life, but it’s also one of the most terrifying.

I wrote about my struggles back in January, one of them is the fear of things I can’t control.

It’s usually a distant thought in the back of my busy mind…but every once in a while, it gets to me.

Have any of you experienced this?

If you live alone, how do you control the fear of the “creepy guy?”

4 comments:

  1. While I don't live alone, there are many nights I am by myself because my boyfriend works late or overnight and have experienced similar episodes. I live in St. Louis City where the houses are just a couple of feet from each other. Our bedroom backs up to our neighbors and when he lets his dogs out at night, they literally sound like they are in our bedroom. The first time that happened I jumped straight out of bed. We also hear many sounds of the city (sirens, trains, highway, people walking by, etc.) I often get the shivers/anxiety at night and have found the best way of coping is focusing on my breathing to calm myself down. If the noise really bothered me - I take a lap around the house checking the doors/locks. After reading a home safety article, I also started keeping my car keys by my bed so in case anything did happen I could set off the panic alarm on my car in hopes of deterring whatever is going on. I haven't had to do that yet but it gives me some peace of mind to have a plan.

    I hope there are no more "creepy guys" around your house, that's just no good!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. St. Louis is a big city! Much bigger than my small town! I bet it is pretty scary at night...that's a great idea about the car keys! I will have to try it! Thanks for stopping by! :-)

      Delete
  2. That is TERRIFYING! I have a gun, and it makes me feel so much safer. I'm not sure that I would ever have the guts to use it, but just knowing it's there makes me feel 100 times better.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have strongly considered getting a gun...my only hesitation is that I might actually have to use it! Ha! Or worse- what if I shoot someone I know (mistaking them for an intruder...) I am going shooting with my dad next week so maybe I will have a change of heart once I try it out!

      Delete