Wednesday, February 12, 2014

The one where Brittney goes to the dentist.

The Pioneer Woman says that mothers of teenage children are not allowed to take selfies unless their faces are obstructed.

I'm not a mother of teenage children (well, technically I'm not a "mother" of anyone, although sometimes I like to mother my baby brother and sister...) but I agree with P-dub. It's not a selfie unless your entire face is visible.

So this picture below, is not a selfie.


This is just a picture of my sparkly pearly whites!

A few week's ago I went to the dentist for my annual cleaning. An annual cleaning that hasn't happened since 2009.

I was soo scared! Scared of the floss (it takes DAYS for my gums to recover!)

I was scared that they would find out I have TMJ and tell me I needed to have the surgery where they break your jaw and put it back together (does that really happen? It sounds sooo barbaric! I hope it's a myth).

I was scared that the dentist wouldn't be as handsome as my last dentist. *I should point out that the ONLY reason I went to the dentist in 2009 was because he was really good looking. I had a huge crush on him. However, I came to my senses when the hygienist came at me with some floss and never went back.

Of course, they found two cavities and today I got two fillings.

You guys, I had so much anxiety over these fillings! I couldn't eat anything. I had sweaty palms.

What if they numb my mouth? (I'm pretty sure that was a guarantee but I still was nervous about it)

What if I loose feeling in my tongue and I can't control it? What if I swallow my tongue during the procedure -because it's numb and I cant control it!?

What if I never get feeling back in my mouth!?

What if they give me the laughing gas and it makes me sick?

What if he forgets to give me white fillings and I end up looking like Lil Wayne?

Serious question- how important are these "fillings?" ...I mean, what would happen if I called in sick?

I'm happy to report that I did *indeed* show up for my appointment and it wasn't that bad.

I got to watch the Today Show on a t.v. mounted to the ceiling.

I got to hear a lovely story about the dentist's recent ski trip to colorado.

The best part: no one flossed my teeth! Wooo hooo!

All that stress over nothing.

I never lost control over my tongue and my mouth has regained feeling.

All is well in the world.

Have any of you experienced anxiety over the dentist? Why are they so scary?

3 comments:

  1. Anxiety over going to dentists may develop after you had a bad experience with them. For example, you’ve got gum pain for weeks and find it hard to eat for some time. The best solution for this is to consult a reliable and friendly dentist in your vicinity. Well, I believe you already found one. Hope you won’t wait for another five years before scheduling another teeth cleaning session. Thanks for the share, Brittney! :)

    Thanh Arnett

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey there, Brittney. What Thanh mentioned is true, waiting 5 years before getting your teeth cleaned is a long time. I too was kind of anxious before, but I thought that what I'm about to go through is necessary to keep my mouth healthy. Take care!

    Lon Hollman

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is technically a selfie of your teeth, Brittney. Haha! Kidding aside, it’s nice to know that you’ve overcome your fear and considered another dental appointment. Hooray for your pearly white teeth! I hope you’ll be able to post your own selfie on your next posts. How are you? :)

    Stephen Malfair

    ReplyDelete