Tuesday, February 18, 2014

Endless Love, my thoughts.

I experienced something so foreign. Something that made me realize I'm not an 18 year old anymore. I'm getting older. It's a feeling that occurs more frequently than I'd like to admit.

I went to see a "Nicholas-Sparks-type-movie" called "Endless Love." A movie about two high school seniors spending a summer falling in love. And instead of being swept away by their romance, I was appalled. Siding with the parents. The PARENTS! When did I become that person??

Here is a quick run down of what happened:

*includes SPOILERS!*

Image Source


In the movie they sleep together (in her parents living room, by a lit fireplace of course) after knowing each other for a little more than 24 hours.

The next day she decided to drop out of her summer internship program, in order to spend more time with the boy.

They take bubble baths together...

A few days later, the girl invites the boy to her parents lake house to join in their family vacation, without her parent's permission.

Later, they decided to get high and break into a zoo which results in her boyfriend getting arrested...of course, he is innocent and her parent's shouldn't blame him for their daughter's involvement (sarcasm).

Big fight between dad and boyfriend, daughter ignores dad and chooses boyfriend.

-the end-

I know it's just a movie, and it's not to be taken seriously, but is anyone else concerned with the message it sends to teenage girls?

Is it okay for a 17 year old to sleep with a guy she's known for less than 24 hours?

Is it okay to defy your parents?

Is it okay to invite your high school  boyfriend over to take bubble baths?

No!

But young girls will see this. They will be romanced. They will think it is the perfect summer.

"If only that would happen to me!"

"If only I could find a teenage boy who talks about how all he wants out of life is to be in love!"

"My parents are sooo wrong for wanting me to have an internship that will help me get into med school! Don't they know how important it is for me to spend my summer taking hot bubble baths with my new boyfriend?"

The truth is...in the real world

(the world you haven't met yet)

The world of bills and jobs and heartbreak and struggle.

(not the struggle to be popular or have someone to sit with at lunch- which can be hard. And real. I'm not saying your struggles aren't real)

I'm talking about the struggle to live on a budget.

The struggle to balance 18 hours of college courses.

The struggle to find a job.

The struggle live a healthy lifestyle- beacuse your body doesn't work the same way it did at 17.

In the real world, the people you will count on,

the people you'll consider your closest friends...

they're your parents.

You will want to spend time with them because they're actually a lot of fun to be around.

They were right about the boy you insisted was the one. He will break your heart.

They will pick you up when you're down.

They are your biggest fans.

They know more about love than you do.

Their love for you is bigger than any love you've ever felt.

They know about the real world.

They know how hard it will be and they want you to be ready.

Please don't waste your entire teenage years hating them.

Don't spend too much time crying over the boy who broke your heart.

Ask for help when you need it.

Make smart choices, you know when you're faced with one. Doing the right thing is hard but it will pay off.

Have faith.  

Be the best you can be.

Respect yourself.

You are beautiful.

You are smart.

Please don't compare your life to a movie...

...Because movies aren't real.

3 comments:

  1. Ypur post made me smile so much! I could hear and see my 17yr old self. At 39 I completely agree but being 17 and not worrying about stuff so much could be fun.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow!!! What a wonderful young woman you have become. You are right on spot about all of this!! I am so proud of you my sweet neice!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I wish I had seen your post- I went to see this last night with a few friends and left after she had sex with him after knowing him for a DAY. I thought it was awful and sent an awful message!

    ReplyDelete