Monday, February 3, 2014

Bathroom Reveal!

This bathroom has been the biggest challenge!

(If you are a contractor, or someone who is "handy" in any way, you will laugh because it's really not that big of a job. I just don't have any DIY skills and I'm such a newbie... so small things like painting trim and mudding dry wall are very intimidating).

Let's rewind to about 6 months ago. Remember when I gave my "before" tour of the doll house?

Well, I thought I'd refresh your memory and show you a few pictures of what this bathroom used to look like.


Ugly gray trim.


Ugly gray ceiling.

Ugly black ceiling fan (you can see a tiny glimpse of it in the photo above).



You can't tell in these photos, but the walls are covered with a texturized wallpaper (I'm kicking myself for not taking a closer picture).

However, I do have a picture of the "wallpaper take-down."



*Shudder* it was horrible!

To get the wallpaper down, I used this method.

After removing all the wallpaper, I wiped down the walls with a wet washrag (to remove any excess glue/adhesive).

Once all the wallpaper was off, I stopped....and I lived this way for months. MONTHS.

Why, you ask? Well I was sceered! I didn't know how to texture dry wall. I didn't think I could do it by myself. I asked several friends to help...a couple of them agreed and I was very happy! but life happened and they never found the time. So I was stuck.

Shortly after Thanksgiving, I volunteered to host my office Christmas party. That was just the incentive I needed to get that bathroom tackled!

I decided to texturize the walls (by hand) using a trowel. Of course, I watched several YouTube videos to prepare.



To my surprise, texturizing the drywall was the easiest step! Can you believe that? It took me a little more than an hour to do the entire bathroom!





The next step was choosing paint. I wanted a cool color, something soothing.


Because of my cream tile, I knew I would need to paint the trim a cream color to match (even though I desperately wanted it to be white, I just couldn't talk myself into painting or replacing the tile). So when I found this picture of a cream vanity and gorgeous wall color (is it blue? or gray? or turquoise?), I knew that I wanted it to be my inspiration room.

Source

I found a color almost identical to my inspiration room at Sherwin Williams called Oyster Bay.



Check out that textured wall! Beauti-ful!

After I got the trim and walls painted, I focused on replacing the ugly black fan.
 
 
Terrible picture but I really wanted you to see how ugly that fan was!
 
I fell in love with the Bellora Chandelier from Pottery Barn.
 
Of course, the $349 price tag was a little a lot over of my budget for the bathroom!


Source
 
Would you believe me if I told you that I found an identical chandelier locally for only $117?  I rushed over and grabbed it like it was Black Friday at Target!
 
If you are in the Tulsa area, check out Garbe's!
 
I decided that electrical projects were beyond my scope of work and enlisted my stepdad to help me hang it.
 

I couldn't be more happy with how it all turned out!


I love the wall color. LOVE it!


and the cabinets look really good with the cream tile!


 

 
 
I still need to decorate. I'd love to get some candles for the bathtub ledge. I'm undecided on whether or not to replace the pedestal sink with a vanity. I have no idea what to put on the walls...
 
But I'm not going to worry about all that right now... I want to live with it for a little while before making any additions.
 
It feels so fresh, much better than the awful wallpaper and gray trim!


 
 
I smile every time I walk by. I feel so accomplished. I did this! By myself! (insert Destiny's Child "Independent Women" song here!)
 
I'll have a few more house updates on the blog tomorrow!
 
I hope to see you there!

11 comments:

  1. It looks AMAZING!!!!!! And you go girl for doing it all by yourself, that is awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amazing, Brittney! I wanna be like you when I grow up!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are simply amazing and I am so proud of your independence! Next up... kitchen trim and cabinets! You can do it, you can do it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just laughed out loud! You're funny...that ain't happening anytime soon!

      Delete
  4. Love that chandelier! So pretty! Great job!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks girl! I'm pretty happy with how it turned out! Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  5. This is worth losing your budget, IMO. It looks very far from what it’s used to be like. Your doll house is so pretty, so it’s only fair that’s you’d make the bathroom as lovely as how it looks from the outside. Although, I kind of think the size of that chandelier made it a bit out of place. Steven, Valley Home Improvement

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yikes! That ceiling fan definitely needed to go! The new bathroom is a lot more your stylish now. I'm glad you didn't hold back in making it so. You did a great job in decorating everything, Brittney! Hope to see more projects like that soon. Thanks for sharing! Kudos and all the best to you! :)

    Arthur Bryant @ Contractor Express

    ReplyDelete
  7. I don’t mind the mess, it shows how much you have worked hard to redecorate your bathroom. I absolutely love the chandelier! I think you can take the hue of it and continue painting anything that you can, I don’t know maybe the cabinet knobs? So there can be a bit of a theme. That’s just my 3 cents. Thanks for sharing your bathroom redo, take care, Brittney!

    Don Mills @ DonMillsBuilders

    ReplyDelete