Tuesday, November 26, 2013

The Creativity Can

Last week I attended the Sate of Creativity Forum 2013 in OKC. It was such a fun and inspiring conference! I got to hear from people like Brad Moore, President of Hallmark, and Candace Nelson, founder of Sprinkles Cupcakes.

The conference focused on building creative environment's in all aspects of life including schools & the workplace. I've always considered myself to be a "creative" person but what does that mean?

Is the term "creative" confined to the arts? Several speakers insisted on breaking the barrier when it comes to defining creativity. Being creative is not always an artistic expression, it can be expressed through problem solving, budget planning, negotiating, writing, studying...and so on.

We discussed hot topics like fostering creativity in students. Do schools provide an environment for imaginary and creative expression? Does the Common Core Curriculum encourage students to think outside the box? or does it confine students to a one-size-fits-all standard? What about teachers? are teachers being allowed to express creativity in their lesson planning? I'm not sure I have the answers or a well developed opinion on these issues but I'm concerned. I'd like to think that we are raising a generation of creative minded individuals- that's right, individuals. Not every child learns the same way, shouldn't we be nurturing their individuality?

Anyway...

It was a day filled with great rhetoric on all kinds of issues relating to creativity. I really enjoyed it and can't wait to go back next year!

Did I mention we got some pretty awesome swag?

My favorite was the Creativity Can.

The charming packaging and mysterious labels made me very curious, I could hardly wait to open it up!


and this is what was inside...



There was a small card that read: "we encourage the use of materials inside the can...make one thing or lots. You can even use the can."


...and here is my creation!


I had so much fun with this! It's been so long since I've done a crafty activity (Well a craft activity that didn't involve Pinterest or DIY house decor). I love that it has no purpose or rules. You can create anything you want! Wouldn't this be fun to do with your entire family over the holidays? The age specifications say "4 to 94" I love that.

Click here for information about the Creativity Can.

Have a creative day!

p.s. The people at State of Creativity & Creativity Can have no idea who I am, I just wanted to share it with you because I thought it was cool!

No comments:

Post a Comment