Friday, August 16, 2013

Pottery Barn Inspired Rug (under $100 bucks!)

I've been saving Pottery Barn catalogs for years! I probably have 20 catalogs in my magazine file. Each catalog has marked pages filled with notes & stars by the things I love. Unfortunately, I don't have the budget to completely outfit my home in PB...so I've been using their catalog as an inspiration.

The doll house is covered in dark wood flooring (which I love). However, paired with my dark leather couch things seem very...well, dark!

Ever since the moment I moved in, I've been on the hunt for the perfect area rug. I wanted something that would brighten up the living room but would also stand the test of time.

Inspired by Pottery Barn, I was convinced I needed a jute rug. I loved the neutral color palette and texture of the jute. It has a slight costal vibe without seeming too nautical.

I saw these pictures in the PB catalog and used them as inspiration.




After several weeks of searching for the perfect jute rug, I began to feel apprehensive. I discovered a few flaws that concerned me.

First, jute isn't very comfortable on your (bare) feet. I want my living room to be beautiful and functional. A scratchy rug isn't going to be very cozy on a winter night by the fire place.

Second, jute sheds. The last thing I want is a shedding rug.

So I switched gears and went back to my catalogs.

I found a few pictures of rugs that had the same color palette as the jute but were a little more practical for everyday use.




I began searching for carpets that had the two toned effect (you can really see what I'm talking about in the first picture). I loved the darker boarder around the rug. I looked at places like Target, Home Depot and Lowes.

Imagine my surprise when I found an identical rug at Lowes for $98 bucks! Oh, and I had a "moving" coupon so I got 10% off. My total came to about $88. It couldn't be more perfect!

Here is the 8X10 Pottery Barn rug (which was priced at $549)


source

and the 8X10 Lowes rug (a whopping $461 LESS than PB)

source
 

I'm so happy with my new rug. It really brightens up the house and it reminds me of the beautiful rooms from my catalogs!


Oh and see the gallery wall in the photo above? I'll be posting on that soon!



I'm not sure what to do about the fire place...it's a little too white for my taste. I'm thinking about painting the bricks a darker color or getting something like this to go in front.


Also, I'm not crazy about my couch pillows and I'm getting a new coffee table ASAP.

It's a work in progress my friends...

I hope you have a wonderful weekend!

*Note, all "inspiration" images were found here!

1 comment:

  1. This rug was such a great price and Quality. Every one buy these. they have financial problem. i could find some of very affordable area rugs Under $500.
    Rugsville Teardrop Medallion Terra Cotta Wool Rug 17140

    ReplyDelete