Wednesday, June 26, 2013

My First Week at the Doll House

7 Days ago I closed on the doll house. It seems like a month ago.

The day of closing was very exciting. My parent’s arrived just in time for my final walk through. We had lunch and headed over to the title company. I swear I signed a billion documents. Don’t tell anyone but I’m pretty sure I misspelled my name a couple of times…
 
Please forgive the pictures in this post, they were taken with an iPhone :-)
 
Walking out of the title company was surreal. My mom gave me a big hug and we all started laughing. I still can’t believe I bought a house. It was an exhilarating moment!

The wide range of emotions I’ve felt over the past 7 days have left me exhausted.

It has been hard work.

We (and by “we” I’m referring to my mother and step-father) have been busy spackling, scraping, sanding, painting, and more painting, and more painting…I’m still not done painting.

Also, we took EIGHTEEN trips (and counting) to Home Depot! Sheesh!

I won’t even talk about the fact that I’ve already had to call a plumber and an electrician.
 
The house was filthy! See the picture below? Can you tell which drawer is clean and which isn't?
 
 
I’m not going to lie; there have been a few moments where I’ve asked myself “what have I done? …this is a total disaster.”

But then there are moments when I’m sitting on my porch swing, admiring my quaint house, which I feel at peace.
 
 
I started moving my things over yesterday.

Seeing my things in the house has made a huge difference. They distract me from the chipping paint and the scratched floors.

I’m so excited to make the doll house mine. I took a bunch of “before” pictures with my camera and I will share them with you soon!

In the meantime, check out this picture I snapped of my backyard:
 
 
I can't wait to host a cookout, to soak in the hot tub over a glass of wine and to plant some cilantro...I think I'm going to like it here.

Happy Hump Day!

6 comments:

  1. Happy "you bought a house" day! It's a lot of work but worth it. I closed on my home the first day of spring break two years ago and worked the entire week I was off school. I was so exhausted that I had to take a day off once spring break was over just to recuperate!

    And I'm real jealous of your backyard! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I can't imagine doing this and school! You go girl! :-)

      Delete
  2. Congrats on buying a house!!! It's the greatest feeling ever, isn't it? I'm so happy for you!! Can't wait to see pictures of it!! Give us a tour!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It does feel pretty good :-) Thank you!!

      Delete
  3. Congratulations on the doll house!! It is precious!!

    ReplyDelete