Monday, May 6, 2013

The Doll House, Part 1.

Well. I did it folks. I put an offer on a house! And you know what? After several days of negotiating, the seller accepted my offer! Whew! –Insert happy dance here-

I’ve been unsure on whether or not to go public with my big announcement before closing. I was scared that something would fall through. That I might jinx myself.  But the truth is: I can’t hold it in anymore!  

This house has completely consumed me!  I can’t think about anything else. When I sit down to write a post, all I can think about is my little cottage! (Yes, it’s very cottage like! squeal!)

So I decided what the heck! I might as well tell everyone! If it doesn’t work out? Well than I’ll write about that too and it will be a moment in my life that I can look back on.

Okay, let’s rewind. I want to tell you how we first met.

A couple of months ago (actually, it was the week after I got serious about buying a house) I went on a weekend drive. I drove all over town, looking for neighborhoods and/or streets that appealed to me.

I’d convinced myself that I needed to live in a new home; something that had been built in the last 5 years. However, I loved the bungalow/cottage vibe. So I was searching for a new home that looked like an old cottage. –silly me.

Several months ago, I pinned this picture for inspiration. I was drawn to the “doll houses” as I like to call them.
 
Pinned Here
So while on my drive, I decided to swing by a house my friend was thinking about buying. Well…on the next street over, I came across my perfect doll house.

It was a “for sale by owner.” They had a hand out that displayed 8 pictures and included a brief description of amenities. It was love at first sight.
 
Internet, meet the Doll House.
I couldn’t believe what I had just discovered; an adorable home with beautiful landscaping. I immediately imagined myself sitting on the porch swing sipping on some ice tea while reading a book…or chatting with friends over a glass of wine. I was head over heels.

At this point in my quest to buy a house, I hadn’t chosen a realtor. I knew I wanted to work with a realtor because I am a first time home buyer. I know nothing about contracts or negotiating…I wanted an expert to offer some advice.

The first time I sat down with Mary (my realtor) I showed her the hand out I’d gotten from the doll house. She said she would arrange a showing.

In the weeks following, I walked through 15 different homes. NONE of them held a candle to my doll house. Most of them were midcentury homes, not my style. All of them were dated and needed a lot of work.

So when the day came for me to finally walk through my doll house, I wasn’t surprised to find out that the inside of the house was as charming as it was on the out!

There are a few things that need a little TLC but I’m okay with that. It will be a way for me to make it my own!

After the showing, I called my parents. I told them all about the doll house and that I was serious about making an offer.

My Dad was totally supportive. He was as giddy as I was!

My Mom, well my Mom was a little hesitant. See…my house was built in 1920. It’s more than 90 years old. She and my stepdad thought that it was a disaster waiting to happen…but don’t worry. They’ll come around.

Come back tomorrow! I’m going to tell you about winning over my parents and the (extremely) stressful negotiation.

4 comments:

  1. Oh my gosh, it is absolutely adorable!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks girl! I'm super excited!

      Delete
  2. I love love love your house! Please post pics of the inside! Curious bloggers would love to see:D hahahaha

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw thanks! I promise promise to post pics as soon as possible! keep in mind they will be "before" pics because I plan on doing a lot of updates! haha

      Delete