Tuesday, May 14, 2013

The Doll House Inspection

I know most of you probably aren’t interested in hearing about every single detail of my home buying experience; however, some of you have never bought a house before. If you’re like I was, you have no idea what to expect or what this process entails. I was completely uneducated about buying a house. Luckily, I have amazing friends and family that offered advice along the way. I even attended a local class for first time home buyers! I hope these posts give you a little insight on what buying a house is like. So…please don’t hesitate to ask questions!

I was extremely nervous about the inspection. My house is 93 years old; I just knew something disastrous would be discovered!

When choosing an inspector, I asked for recommendations amongst my friends and coworkers. (I did the same thing when choosing a realtor and it really paid off! Mary is wonderful, I couldn’t have asked for a better realtor). The inspection was extremely important to me. I wanted to make sure the house was safe and reliable. I am a single woman with ZERO “handy man” skills. I wanted an inspector who would do a thorough inspection.

The inspection took place last Friday. I decided that I wanted to be there for the entire inspection. Also, I asked my Dad to accompany me (It’s always good to have a second pair of ears around to pick up on things that I might not remember). Most of the people I talked to told me that I didn’t need to be there for the inspection. However, I wanted to be there for a couple of reasons…

First, I thought that my presence might motivate the inspector to look a little closer (yes, I know this is a silly thought, a licensed inspector will do his best because he could lose his license otherwise). I just thought that if the inspector knew that I am a single girl, he might really go out of his way to make sure everything is top notch (especially if he’s a kindhearted “grandpa” type). And you know what? I was totally right! The inspector took me around and showed me things I might not have noticed otherwise.

For example: He taught me how to work my gas fire place. He explained the importance in using a surge protector with the old outlets. He made sure I was aware of everything that might be a potential hazard.

Second, if something is wrong with the house, I wanted to be there to see it for myself! The inspector did find some problems under the house. The joists and stringers (support beams under the house) had dry rot and needed to be reinforced. The inspector took pictures and showed them to me.  He explained exactly what needed to be done in order to fix them. (Luckily, the seller will be responsible for fixing it!)

I was really happy with the home inspection. Aside from the problems under the house, everything else checked out! Now we are just waiting on the appraisal. Assuming everything goes well with the appraisal, we will be closing the first of June! Yippee! 

(Wow, this post turned out longer than I intended! If you’re still reading this, you must be a really good friend!)

Happy Tuesday! 

16 comments:

  1. I wouldn't have thought of being there and getting to have a firsthand look at everything! Congrats on your cute house!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm a visual learner so I thought it would be best for me to physically see what's going on! Thanks girl! I'm super excited! :-)

      Delete

  2. I am very amazed by the data of this weblog and i am glad i experienced a look more than the blog. thank you so much for sharing these kinds of excellent information.

    new york fha

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have been a "lurker" for a while and love your tips. I'm also single with NO skills and looking to buy a house in the next year or so. You're giving me lots of things to remember.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well I'm glad you stopped by! Good luck with your house hunting! :-)

      Delete
  4. Congrats for having such house inspection, glad to know that its successful.
    saskatchewan real estate inspection

    ReplyDelete
  5. IT IS Genuinely Really Helpful FOR ME.I LIKE YOUR Publish Simply because IT IS Very Beneficial FOR ME AS Effectively. HOPING THE Same Very best Work IN THE UP COMING Days ALSO. THANK YOU!
    new york building design
    violation removal

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad that this was helpful to you! Good luck with your's! Thanks for stopping by! :-)

      Delete
  6. I really got excellent points in this post. And I guess it is really a good idea to be present during the inspection. This is to ensure that you really get first-hand information about the house. Thanks anyway for sharing your experience with a home inspector.
    SpectraInspections.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. I’m impressed, I have to say. Really hardly ever do I encounter a blog that’s both educative and entertaining, and let me inform you, you might have hit the nail on the head. Your idea is outstanding; the problem is something that not sufficient people are speaking intelligently about. I am very joyful that I stumbled across this in my seek for something referring to this.

    new york building inspection
    structural engineer new York

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lover reading your post, its helpful for people looking for budget house or foreclosed housing property.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Brittney. I really enjoyed staying by your post. I appreciate your wise decision to hire reputed home inspection services before buying it.
    Home Inspection Redondo Beach

    ReplyDelete