Tuesday, May 21, 2013

Oklahoma Tornadoes

I am at a loss for words. I’m overwhelmed with grief for my fellow Oklahoman’s. It was so hard to go to work this morning. I want nothing more than to be with my family, to be comforted by their embrace.

Yesterday I was in a meeting when the tornado hit Moore. I had no idea what had happened when I began receiving text messages from friends asking if my family was okay. I was aware of a tornado watch that covered most of our state and assumed something bad must have happened.

My stomach turned as my phone began to ring. It was my dad. Because I was in the middle of a meeting, (with an executive officer) I was unable to answer the call. My dad sent me a text message to call him.

I asked the person next to me if she knew what was going on. She held up her phone and revealed a text message that said “the Warren Theater has been hit.” I didn’t need any more information. I knew this was bad. Really bad. The Warren Theater is located in a highly populated area. It is where I celebrated my birthday last year, where I watched the twilight finale; it’s one of my most favorite places.





Waiting ouside the Warren before Twilight Breaking Dawn

I responded to my dad’s text asking about my siblings, they live in Edmond (about 30 miles northeast of Moore). At the time, I didn’t know how big the storm was or the path it was traveling. I waited for his response, it never came.

I excused myself from the meeting, tears filling my eyes. My instincts told me that this was serious. I found a private place and dialed my dad’s number.

He answered casually, “Hey what’s up?” I knew by his tone that I had been mistaken, my family was okay. He just wanted to make sure I was watching the weather.

As he told me about Moore, I began to cry.

I can’t imagine what they are going through. I can’t imagine the fear that consumed them as the tornado hit. Last night was long; I spent most of the night worrying about the weather. Afraid that another storm might come through.

Today my thoughts and prayers are with those affected by yesterday’s tragedy. Below are ways that you can help out.

Salvation Army:
Text the word “STORM” to 80888 to make a $10 donation through your mobile phone

Red Cross:
Visit www.redcross.org/okc or text REDCROSS to 90999 to make a $10 donation.

Food Bank of Oklahoma:
Text FOOD to 32333 to make a $10 donation.

United Way of Central Oklahoma’s Disaster Relief Fund:
Visit www.unitedwayokc.org


If you are local, visit any LifeChurch.tv OKC metro location (OKC, Edmond, South OKC, NW OKC, Yukon, Midwest City) between 8 a.m. and 8 p.m. to drop off the following items to aid in the relief:

-Toiletries
-Diapers, wipes, formula, baby bottles
-Clothing and shoes (new only)
-Bags, backpacks, or plastic tubs to carry items.


Visit www.lifechurch.tv/locations for more information on finding a location near you.

Image source

No comments:

Post a Comment