Wednesday, March 13, 2013

Book Review: Gone Girl

Well folks, I have officially fallen off the face of the earth. Life has been really really busy. The past month has been filled with three trips: one business &two pleasure, a terrible allergic reaction in which I ended up in the ER where I met a cute doctor who happens to be the brother of one of my dear friends. I couldn’t possibly begin to describe the horror I felt as he asked me (and I quote) “pull down your pants so I can take a look at that rash.” I still haven’t recovered from that one (the embarrassment, not the rash. The rash is gone. Thank God ).
 
Let’s see, what else have I been up to…
 
Work is amazing right now. I’m having so much fun. We are entering our busy season and it has absolutely consumed me.
 
I've been looking into buying a house. I even attended a class for first time home buyers. It's a little scary and I’m not sure if I’m ready to take the plunge but I’m in the process of figuring it all out.
 
So with all the traveling and the allergic reaction and work and dreaming about owning my own home, somehow this blog slipped through the cracks.
 
Anyway, enough about me!
 
I read a really good book and I wanted to tell you about it! It’s called Gone Girl by Gillian Flynn.
 
Source
 
Gone Girl is unlike any book I’ve ever read. I must warn you, it’s dark, really dark. However, you won’t be able to put it down. The book was slow to start but DON’T GIVE UP. It gets good.
 
I began to type a summery for you, but then I found this one on amazon and decided to share it: 
 
"On the day of their fifth wedding anniversary, Nick's wife Amy disappears. There are signs of struggle in the house and Nick quickly becomes the prime suspect -but passages from Amy's diary reveal the alpha-girl perfectionist could have put anyone dangerously on edge. Under mounting pressure from the police and the media—as well as Amy’s fiercely doting parents—the town golden boy parades an endless series of lies, deceits, and inappropriate behavior. Nick is oddly evasive, and he’s definitely bitter—but is he really a killer?
 
Calling Gone Girl a psychological thriller is an understatement. As revelation after revelation unfolds, it becomes clear that the truth does not exist in the middle of Nick and Amy's points of view; in fact, the truth is far more dark, more twisted, and more creepy than you can imagine. Gone Girl is masterfully plotted from start to finish and the suspense doesn't waver for one page. It's one of those books you will feel the need to discuss immediately after finishing because the ending doesn't just come; it punches you in the gut."
 
I love the line “the ending doesn't just come; it punches you in the gut.” I couldn’t have said it better myself.  If you read this book, please please let me know what you think!
 
As always, I’ve come up with my “dream cast.”
 
Nick: Ryan Phillippe
 
Source
 
Amy: Kristen Bell
 
Source
 
Happy Reading!

2 comments:

  1. Good luck on buying a house! That's so exciting! I just bought one too, but we still aren't in it because we are waiting fr the documentation to finish!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! It's pretty scary :-) Congrats on your new home!! I bet you're so excited!!! Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete