Thursday, January 10, 2013

You're So Vain

Yesterday was supposed to be a very exciting day. I woke up before my alarm clock and hopped right out of bed with a big smile on my face.

I was like a little kid going on a field trip, anxiously awaiting school.

See, I’m working on a new project (one that I’m not able to share with you yet, however, stay tuned! I will be making the big announcement in a few weeks).

Anyway, yesterday was the day of my “photo shoot.”

I wore a new outfit and curled my hair; I left my house feeling pretty good about myself.  

Of course, it was raining.

By the time I got to the shoot, my hair was a frizzy mess and my face was oily from all the humidity. My confidence was dwindling.

The photographer stopped several times to “tuck in loose strands” (read: tame the frizz). He even asked me if I had hairspray…It was that bad.

By the end of the shoot I felt horrible. I wasn’t happy with any of the photos and began picking apart every flaw.

As I was leaving, all I could think about was the terrible pictures. My mind was racing “Am I really that pale? …do I have wrinkles? …wow the camera really does add 10 pounds! …maybe we can take them again?… I wish I had gone tanning…maybe I should get a spray tan…note to self: never wear turquoise again…do you think it would be rude to ask for another shoot?…I wonder if people will think I’m a “primadonna?” ...you get the idea.

It was about that time that I heard sirens behind me. I looked in my rearview mirror and saw a police officer. I pulled to the side to let him pass and to my surprise, he pulled over next to me!  

“That’s odd” I thought. I wonder what I did wrong. I wasn’t speeding, I had my seatbelt on.

He walked to my window and asked: “ma’am, was something distracting you?” I replied “no, I don’t think so...”

My heart was pounding. (Did I mention that I was driving a company vehicle?)

Apparently, I drove through a red light.  I had no clue. I was too busy obsessing over my silly pictures.

Really officer, that red light came out of nowhere!

The officer was very nice; he let me off with a warning.

Unfortunately, my day didn’t get any better. I dropped my phone in a puddle of water, I was forced crawl under my car wearing a skirt to retrieve my credit card (which I dropped in the parking lot at Sonic).

Yep. It was one of those days. I let my bad attitude get the best of me.

I may or may not have called my dad crying because “I hhhaaad a bbbbad ddday!” (read it again with a sob, I promise it will make more sense).

Anyway we talked for a while and by the time we got off the phone I felt much better.

I just wanted to publicly thank my dad for listening to my silly problems and giving me the most heartfelt advice.

Now I realize how vain I was being and I am a little embarrassed.

Isn't it crazy how much a bad attitude can affect your entire day?

Today was much better...I'm still undecided what to do about those darn photos but I'm not going to let myself get wrapped up in my own insecurities!

I have no idea what made me write all this, it really isn't that big of a deal but you all are the best listeners!

I hope you are having a GREAT day!

No comments:

Post a Comment