Monday, December 17, 2012

Touched

I have no idea how to start this post. I’ve typed several sentences and immediately deleted them, unable to find the right words. I’ve had the hardest time gathering my thoughts and feelings. I don’t know a single soul in Connecticut; I’ve never visited the small state, nor am I a mother or an educator. How could anything I say about this horrific attack matter to the world?

However, this tragedy has hit me to the core.

Last weekend I traveled to Frederick, Okla. to visit my grandparents. With the craziness of the holidays, it was the only time we could get together.

My Mimi made a heap of food.
 
 
We sang Christmas karaoke (one of my favorite Orr-family traditions).


We watched movies and opened presents. I was so happy to be surrounded by the people I love.

But I couldn’t help but think about the families that are drowning in sorrow.

Sunday on my way home, I decided to stop at the mall. As I walked into Dillard’s, I heard a beautiful voice sing “Go tell it on the mountains…over the hills and everywhere.” I stopped walking and turned around. As I made my way towards the beautiful voice, slowly others began to sing. The next thing I knew, I was surrounded by a large choir.

I stood there alone taking it all in, listing to their voices fill the air. The mall was silent as people gathered.

I’ve never felt more connected to a group of strangers. I began to sing and rejoice with them, for the Lord was in this place. I felt him.

I managed to snap a short video but I have to warn you, it is very shaky and terribly blurry. (I don't know why the still shot is crooked...the video is not.)
 
 
When the choir dropped to their knees I began to sob. Humanity is not lost. The world is still filled with love. God is with us; he loves us and will never abandon us. We are his children.

This year I’ve witnessed what the power of prayer can do. I pray for comfort and strength for the people touched by this tragedy.

And I pray that God’s presence be known by all this holiday season.

2 comments:

  1. Oh my goodness, that was beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love your heartfelt story, but most of all I love you,BB.

    ReplyDelete