Thursday, November 22, 2012

Granny Orr's Thanksgiving

When I was a little girl we would always go to my great-grandmother’s house for Thanksgiving. All of my grandpa’s siblings and their children, and their children, and their children, okay I’ll stop now, would squeeze into her old house to eat lunch together.  It was like a family reunion.

Granny Orr lived in Lebanon, Oklahoma (aka. the middle of nowhere). Her house had an open flame gas heater. I can remember it always being very hot in there.

One year, I was probably 10 years old, Granny’s house had the most horrendous odor. We searched all over her home for the smell; one of my cousins even crawled under the house looking for a dead animal! To this day I can remember that awful stench.

After a failed attempt of discovering the source of the foul smell, the men went up the road to the church to get tables and chairs so we could eat outside. It was actually kind of fun, we all gathered under the car port to eat.

Once we filled our plates and said grace, my cousin Brad discovered the smell. He took one bite of the chicken dressing and immediately spit it out.

See...Granny always liked to keep all the Thanksgiving dishes setting out in the back room, which happens to be the same room that the heaters were located.

Apparently, she let the chicken dressing set overnight in the back bedroom and it spoiled.

What I remember most about that Thanksgiving was the way my entire family laughed once the smell was discovered. I remember all of us, young and old, laughing hysterically as Brad dry heaved over his plate.

I remember being so delighted to see the all the adults lose themselves with laughter. It was something that rarely happened.

I think sometimes “we adults” take things too seriously; we get so caught up with the stress of our  daily lives that we forget to laugh.

This Thanksgiving, enjoy your time with your family, reminisce over Thanksgivings past, and please for heavens sake:  laugh a little!

From my family to yours,

Happy Thanksgiving!

No comments:

Post a Comment