Tuesday, October 23, 2012

Book Review: The Night Circus

It’s been a while since I’ve done one of these. I have several books I want to tell you about, however, this novel is one of my favorites.

Source

The Night Circus by Erin Morgenstern is such a beautiful story with perfect use of imagery. The author has an amazing imagination; she did an excellent job describing the colorful scenes that took place in her vintage circus. Her words touched all my senses. I could taste the hot chocolate, I could feel the heat from the fire, I could see the changing colors of Celia’s dress. Her writing took me back in time; it was so vivid.

However, this book is for patient readers. It took me a while to figure out what was going on; naturally, my confusion made it hard to commit to the book. In the early chapters, I found myself bored. But once the plot started to come together, once the circus began, it was a page turner.

It’s hard to describe the plot without giving too much away. Basically, it’s a tale of magic.

I paraphrased the amazon description:

The circus arrives without warning, it also leaves without warning. Behind the black and white stripped tents are breath-taking illusions, and it is only open at night.

Behind the scenes, two magicians (Marco and Celia) are dueling in a “mysterious” competition, one they know nothing about. Both of them are unaware of the fact that this is a game in which only one survives.

Despite the high stakes, Celia and Marco can’t resist their mutual attraction and eventually fall in love. Their romance sparks a domino effect of dangerous consequences, leaving the lives of everyone, from the performers to the patrons, hanging in the balance.

My casting choices:

Celia: Camilla Belle



Marco: Joseph Gordon-Levitt


Prospero- Geoffrey Rush


  As I said earlier, this was a frustrating read. It took a while to figure everything out but I promise it is worth the wait!   Oh! and they are making a movie! I can't wait!

1 comment:

  1. Hi, cool review! Here's mine if you don't mind: http://lorxiebookreviews.blogspot.com/2012/11/the-night-circus-by-erin-morgenstern.html

    Thanks and have a very nice day! :)

    ReplyDelete