Tuesday, September 11, 2012

The grass isn’t always greener...

This time last year I was feeling very insecure about being out of college.  I missed my sorority sisters and I felt left out every time I saw a "party" picture on Facebook.

Also, it seemed as though most all of my friends were getting married and having babies (it still feels that way).

I was in a weird place. I wasn’t sure where I fit in. (I write that in “past tense” but honestly... I still get a little insecure about my current lifestyle) I’m not a college student, I’m not a wife, and I’m certainly not a mommy.


I know I’m not the only one going through this transitional phase.

So last weekend, I was a little apprehensive about attending sorority recruitment as an alumna. I was worried that I wouldn’t fit in, that I would feel left out or jealous of the younger girls. Or worse- jealous of the other alumni, who have their perfect families, complete with a “white picket fence.”

Boy was I wrong.

Not only did I not experience any of those feelings, I walked away feeling relieved.

Also, I felt proud of myself. I’m proud of the fact that I have a career (In my field of study!) and I’m not pinching pennies to survive.

It’s only been a year and a half since I walked across the stage to receive my diploma, and in that time I have experienced so much: a business trip to the National Museum of the American Indian, I sat courtside at Thunder vs. Lakers, traveled to NYC (by myself!), took several girl getaways, indulged in an ungodly amount of shopping, and I'm taking a ski trip this winter.

I ask myself, how much of that would have been possible if I had a husband and child to balance my time (and money) with? I think we all know the answer…it would have been hard.

And if I was still in college? None of those things would have happened.

All this to say, if you’re like me (unattached, single, no one to answer to) please don’t spend your days wishing you had a different life.

ENJOY yourself! Spend money! Buy those cute shoes! Take a trip somewhere! See the world!

You have your whole life ahead of you (I’ve heard that saying a thousand times in the last year…but it’s true).

Am I the only one constantly thinking about what other people have?

Sometimes I forget about the benefits that comes with being young, beautiful (refer to this post), and I-N-D-E-P-E-N-D-E-N-T!

Now, promise me you will remind me of this next time I start to feel down on myself! Okay?

Thanks!

4 comments:

  1. I'm right there with you and I've been out of college for 5 years now. (Holy cow!) It's hard not to have those days where Facebook is your worst enemy because of all the cute babies, gorgeous engagement rings, and nice houses. But ultimately I enjoy my life thoroughly knowing that whenever the time is right for all those things to come along, I'll be ready.

    ReplyDelete
  2. <3 it! Just remember up north people married before 30 are the one's left out. I am proud of you, you have come so far!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You have it right! If girls your age are getting married and having babies, they're missing out on one of the best times of their lives. I'm quite a bit older than you, and while I'm married, I don't have kids and I see all my friends struggling and not enjoying life. Take your time, that life will be there when you're ready for it!

    ReplyDelete