Thursday, August 9, 2012

New York City, Part Three

I was really excited to attend BlogHer12 in the hopes of learning some tips on writing, editing, and taking better photos.

I wasn’t really interested in finding out how to become a “famous” blogger or marketing myself as a “brand.”

Also, I don’t really care about stats.

My philosophy: the more the merrier. I always love seeing my page views increase and I love hearing from readers. But the truth is: I don’t want to get caught up in numbers.

I blog because I enjoy it, I like to write. When I get caught up in my weekly page views, I start to stress and get discouraged. I end up losing focus on my purpose.

Being at the conference made me realize something: blogging is not my life.

That wasn't the lesson I expected to gain, but I think it took being surrounded by thousands of full time bloggers for me to realize that (for now) I'm not meant to do this full time.

I am very happy in my current job. For me, blogging is just a hobby.

One day I would like to blog for my current employer (actually, I think it's a real possibility) but Brittney's Orr-dinary Life is just something I do for fun.

So that brings me to the conference.

What I found annoying:

-Remember me telling you that I was going to run a 5K at the conference? Remember the picture I posted on Instagram the morning of the 5K (at 5:30 am) with caption: Up and ready to go!



Well it never happened.

They didn’t get permission from the city so they basically sent someone down to tell us how to find Central Park and we could run independently.

I was so frustrated.

I’ve been training for MONTHS and they just blew it off. They didn’t provide numbers, they didn’t have timers, they didn’t have a course, and they didn’t even post mile markers!! (I was annoyed to say the least).

What I loved:

-I loved hearing from other successful bloggers (such as Martha Stewart).



Martha gave everyone a free digital subscription to all of her magazines (Martha Stewart Living, Everyday Food, Whole Living, and Martha Stewart Weddings). I die!

Katie Couric was pretty awesome as well.



-I loved meeting other bloggers. Like my roomie Stephanie. She is such a doll. I really loved getting to know her!



-I loved this picture I took with Zach Efron.



Well a cardboard cutout of Zach.

Yes, we’re on a first name basis...

I mean we did almost kiss!

All in all, I had a good time at the conference. I gained some valuable information.


P.S. I know I told you that I would talk about meeting the Pioneer Woman in this post, well It was too long so I decided to break it up.

Click here to read about our encounter!

No comments:

Post a Comment