Thursday, August 23, 2012

Fat Days

Yesterday I had an “ugly” day. You know what I’m talking about, we all have them.

My hair wouldn’t cooperate, my skin seemed extra oily, and I felt as though I had gained 3 inches overnight.

Also, I’ve been slacking on my Weight Watchers.

(For those of you that are new, I lost around 40 pounds on weight watchers a year ago).

I’m starting to fall back into my old eating habits and it’s time to nip it in the bud! I’m not going to let myself get out of control again!

So after an entire day of feeling insecure and down on myself, I decided to catch up on season 5 of Mad Men. In the episode Betty Draper (played by January Jones) was feeling insecure about her appearance. Since her divorce, she’s put on a little bit of weight.

Here’s a picture of what her character looks like:



Of course, her ex-husband is married to a knockout bombshell with an itty bitty waist.



Later in the show, Betty was attending a Weight Watchers meeting. I had no idea Weight Watchers was around back then!

Upon seeing Betty at WW, I experienced a moment of realization. What a coincidence! I’ve just spent the entire day feeling terrible about myself, and there…in the middle of my show…is a reminder that this insecurity (about weight and eating and comparing yourself to others) has been plaguing women since the dawn of time.

I know we all think the grass is greener on the other side. I know this because every time I set foot into my gym I see so many beautiful women. I always think “I wish I looked like them” or “I hate those skinny bitches.” (Just being honest here).

But I’ve realized, no matter how skinny I get, no matter how much I exercise, there will always be someone to compete with.

I need to learn to worry about myself and be happy with what God gave me!

When I was a little girl, my Mimi (grandmother) gave me a quote:

“How grateful am I, Lord, to live and love in such a beautiful temple.”

I try to remember this whenever I start to feel ungrateful.

I have all my limbs, I can hear music, I’m able to dance, I’m able to hold my loved ones, and I can see the beautiful world around me.

I really do live in a beautiful temple…and so do you.

1 comment:

  1. I love this. How strange, but I have been feeling this exact same way. Thanks for sharing this.

    ReplyDelete