Wednesday, May 2, 2012

Running Pains


Do you remember a couple of weeks ago when I mentioned that I was running in a 5K this June??

Well if you’re new around here, you should know that I’ve never played sports so by default, I am not a runner.

It’s been a real struggle. For the past few weeks, I’ve been running with my friend Brooke.  It has been impossible to keep up with her, I always get a side cramp. It is crippling and utterly humiliating when I have to ask her to stop. I know I am holding her back.

 This week I decided to try something new. I downloaded the couch to 5K app and headed to the trail all alone. I have to say, it was much better. I didn’t get any cramps and I finished with no problem! Being able to run at my own pace really made a difference.

Of course, the entire time I’m jogging on the trail I’m thinking about the rapist/killer/attacker that is probably hiding in the bushes, regretting not bringing my mace, wondering if I could get a concealed carrier license.

I’m about half way into the trail when my WORST nightmare appeared.  I saw a snake in the middle of my path. I passed it slowly, unsure if it was dead. It was a baby snake, black with a red strip on its head.

I spent the rest of my jog thinking about possible jogging locations that are guaranteed to be snake free, only to come to the realization that a snake free outdoor trail is an unrealistic idea.

I thought about the “snake be gone” stuff my mother spreads around the yard and wondered if it is real or if it’s just another lie parents tell their kids to make the world a better place. (Still up in the air on that one).

When I approached the spot where I had my encounter with the deadly serpent, it was gone. Turns out, the snake was ALIVE!! (Insert girly scream here).

Words cannot express my level of fear and dread for the next run! I am sure to have nightmares about those dreadful creatures for weeks! I just hope I don’t use this as an excuse to stay on the couch, my nice, safe and snake free couch.

4 comments:

  1. My girlfriend started couch to 5K last year and she is a total runner now. She recently finished a 5K. I tried a similar program last spring. But I ended up hurting my knee. I think I need a track rather than the uneven terrain of trails. And snakes? I never thought about snakes. EEk. Good luck with your next run.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I am glad to hear someone had success from couch to 5K! I hope it works!!

      Delete
  2. First off, I'm so happy your blog is working! YAY!! I can see everything! YAY!!!! Secondly, I HATE running, I get side cramps and I'm wheezing by like 5 minutes into it. HA! So I'm totally inspired by you, maybe I'll actually work out today....or just kind of stretch...my arms...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am beyond happy that it is working!!!! Haha I HATE to run so we shall see how long this hobby lasts! Haha! Thanks for leaving a comment!!

      Delete