Wednesday, April 25, 2012

Welcome to adulthood

The other day someone told me I was an adult.


We were in the middle of a conversation (I was talking about my relationship with my parent’s) and I said something like “Now that I’m an adult…” I hesitated to finish the sentence. She could tell that the statement tasted weird coming out of my mouth and she confirmed: “yes, yes you are an adult.”

Over the past few years, well ever since I left the nest for college, I have loosely joked about how I am an “adult” (actually, I think I called myself a “grown-ass-woman.” classy I know). All this time I’ve been joking, never taking myself seriously.

But, lately I've noticed some changes.

1. (probably my favorite change) I’m friends with my parents. We talk EVERY DAY because why? Because we WANT to, because we have things to talk about. You know what else is cool? They tell me things, things about themselves I never knew! I’m getting to know them as people. It’s wonderful.

2. I rarely get I’D for drinks at restaurants or at the liquor store. I don’t know why this is because I turned 21 yesterday. (Well it seems like yesterday).

3. My friends are all married. BOOOOOO. That’s all I have to say.

4. Since when did high school boys look like babies? And when did 30-year-old men start looking handsome?

5. Someone tell me how I learned to cook?

I’ll rephrase: Someone tell me, when did I start cooking food that actually tastes good?

6. At what point in my life did I decided that shorts/skirts must at least go to my fingertips. (The thought of wearing a teeny pair of shorts makes me cringe). Remember when we would try to find a way around that rule in middle school?

7. My idea of a great night is eating pasta and snuggling up to a movie, or maybe an episode of Smash. (Definitely not hanging out in a smoky bar).

8. I’d rather shop for home d├ęcor than clothes.

9. Staying up past midnight is nearly impossible for my heavy eyes.

10. I keep my room in a constant state of clean. Because I want to.

So I guess I am an adult.

(I didn’t even mention the fact that I did my own taxes this year).

And you know what?

I think it’s pretty awesome.

10 comments:

  1. Oh my gosh. Okay so I am 26, I knew I hit old once I graduated college & proceeded to have babies. BUT THESE COMMENTS ARE SO TRUE. I am pretty sure I fit into each of those comments. I love this post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha I know! It stinks getting older! Thanks!

      Delete
  2. "Since when did high school boys look like babies? And when did 30-year-old men start looking handsome?" ---DYING. I was literally thinking that last night! Why are older men so hot now?!

    I can relate to every single one of these things. Hilarious, scary, and so true!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love love love all of these- I relate to every single one. I totally agree with becoming friends with your parents and learning new things about them. Being an adult doesn't seem so bad :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love this post!! I relate to every single thing on this list! I love love love shopping for home decor way more than any clothing item...and midnight? I haven't seen that time on my clock in a while, ha. Friends are all engaged/married - some even having babies! Whattttt?!

    Happy Wednesday!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know! When they start having babies they disappear! Thanks girl!

      Delete
  5. haha I totally agree, it's so weird! I don't feel like an adult but apparently I am! Someone called me a woman the other day and it totally freaked me out, like what? I'm a WOMAN? Aren't I a girl? Are guys supposed to be MEN now?
    So weird.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks girl! Haha I'm glad I'm not the only one going through this!!

      Delete