Monday, April 16, 2012

#Tornadogeddon

As most of you know, we've had some serious weather issues in the OK. It was predicted that the entire state was to be blown away by a tornado. As you can imagine, this prediction wasn’t good for my emotional health.


Friday afternoon, I returned to my office (from a 3 day conference) with this mass email in my inbox:

"There is a tornado on the ground crossing I-35 at this time near the Sooner Mall. It’s headed straight for OU Campus. The news is advising anyone in Norman to take shelter now."

Talk about straight to the point! Can you imagine getting this if you had a child in college at OU? Yikes!

Norman is about an hour from me. Along I-35 lives the nearest Target, Pier one, Ulta, pretty much all my favorite stores. (That’s right people; I have to drive an HOUR to get to the nearest Target).

Luckily, everyone in Norman is okay.

That night I became obsessed with the weather. At first, I was just trying to get information on people in Norman, trying to find out if my precious Target survived.

But then I stumbled across some information that literally made me sick.

Saturday’s forecast.

The entire state was in red. If you live in tornado alley you know how serious the color “red” can be.

I was seeing headlines that used scary language like “Midwest Braces for Life Threatening Tornadoes.”

Now if you’re a single girl living on the second floor of an apartment, this is very unsettling news.

So I did what anyone in my situation would do. I went home to my Daddy.

If there’s anyone in the world who can protect me, it’s him!

My sister Courtney, who is also living alone in an upstairs apartment, came home as well.

We prepared by taking our cars to the nearest parking garage, stocking up on yummy snacks and making pallets on the floor.

Sorry I dont have any pictures from my weekend. I may or may not have worn the same outfit for 2 days straight with no make up...you can only imagine the bags under my eyes.

We stayed up watching the weather most of the night, luckily it only rained in our part of the state. I know other people weren’t so lucky. I can’t imagine how scary it must have been for them or what they are going through today.

Everyone on twitter kept me entertained. I was seeing hashtags like #tornadogeddon and endless jokes about the weather man (poor guy).

My favorite tweet was by @rachshingleton (you should probably follow her, she is a style/design genius and pretty hilarious).



 
All in all, it was a wonderful weekend spent bunkered down with my family.


Happy Monday!



1 comment:

  1. I'm glad you and your family are safe. I would do exactly the same thing. So would my sister. :)

    ReplyDelete