Saturday, April 7, 2012

Book Review: Graceling

Happy Saturday!

I hope you are having a great weekend! I don't normally blog on Saturdays but I am so excited about this book that I've made an exception! Thursday I mentioned that I finished reading Fire (which was such a GREAT read). Fire is the second book in a trilogy.  I finished the first book a few weeks ago and I'm a little late posting my review.

The book before Fire, Graceling, was also a page turner!

(Oh yeah, There's something you should know about both of these books...I just told you they are a series... but actually, they have nothing to do with each other. It doesn't matter what order you read them...there is only one character from Graceling in Fire.)

Graceling, by Kristin Cashore was an easy read; I knocked it out in one weekend. It's another epic journey/teen romance (by “teen romance” I mean older teens, almost 20-year-olds. The suggested age is 14 but let me just say, my 14-year-old would not be reading this. There is an *ahem* adult scene that would probably be cut from the movie in order to keep it PG-13 if ya catch my drift…).

Graceling is about a woman named Katsa. Kasta is a “Graceling,” a rare person with an expert skill. Katsa's Grace is killing (she can kill with her bare hands) and her uncle, King Randa, forces her to use her grace to punish people who disobey him. Everyone in the kingdom is afraid of her; they think she is a monster.

However, Kasta is the opposite; she is a secret protector of the kingdom. She has formed an “underground” group that protects the people who are being mistreated by all of the kings.

This is one of those books that you think you understand what’s going on, you think you have it all figured out, but in the end, you had it all wrong.

I’ll let Amazon tell you the rest:

“When she first meets Prince Po, Graced with combat skills, Katsa has no hint of how her life is about to change. She never expects to become Po's friend. She never expects to learn a new truth about her own Grace--or about a terrible secret that lies hidden far away . . . a secret that could destroy all seven kingdoms with words alone.”

I can’t tell you who the villain is because it would be a major spoiler, but let me just say: I have NEVER been more creeped out by a villain like this one.

My heart would race at the mention of his name.

Here is my cast list:


Kasta: Lyndsy Fonseca




Po: Henry Cavill




Raffin: Andrew Garfield



Lord Giddon: Colin Firth



King Randa: Alan Rickman



King Leck: Paul Giamatti





Bitterblue: Bailee Madison





I really hope you enjoy Graceling! If you've read it, I would love to hear your thoughts!!

Happy Easter!

1 comment:

  1. I will most definitely be checking this out! I am always on the hunt for new YA books...i love them. I know i'm no longer a teenager but HEY why not let your inner teen flag fly?!
    :)
    Thanks for doing the review, i'm very excited.
    You should check out the book "Nevermore" By: Kelly Creagh. It is one of my favorites and the second should be releasing later this year!
    http://www.amazon.com/Nevermore-Kelly-Creagh/dp/1442402008

    ~Amy
    http://takingstepshome.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete