Tuesday, March 20, 2012

Storm chaser...not.

It’s been raining like cats and dogs! (Where did that expression come from?)


Yes, this post is about the weather, I apologize, not much has happened around here, I’ll do my best to keep it entertaining.

I’ve always been slightly terrified of storms (which is ironic because I live in tornado alley). The sirens go off every spring and inevitably, I turn into a big wuss!

Of course, being from Oklahoma, I’ve had some close calls.

Last year I took this picture of a funnel cloud while driving back to school from my parents.



I will never forget this day. I was beside myself with terror and grief. I called my parents crying when I saw the clouds dropping in front of my vehicle. There weren’t any ditches to take cover. I drove like crazy until I got behind the storm. Very Scary. I would be okay if it never happened again.

This picture was taken the same year while visiting my mom. There was a tornado on the ground a few miles from our house.

My sister, Mikayla.

Every year we have to crawl into our “hidey hole” and wait. Luckily nothing terrible has happened. Knock on wood.

But this year I’m a little worried. I live on the second floor and don’t have a safe place anywhere near my apartment. All I can think about are the people from Joplin who didn’t have enough time to seek cover.

In the past year, Oklahoma has experienced several natural phenomenons: blizzards, grass fires, tornadoes, earthquakes and finally 80 degree temperatures in March. I expect this storm season to keep us on our toes!

Thankfully, I have a couple of good friends who have offered their home for shelter during the storm season.

I feel so much better knowing I have a plan. Also, I keep myself informed by watching the forecast!

I just want to remind everyone to make sure you and your loved ones are prepared!

Stay safe and stay informed!

Happy Tuesday!

5 comments:

  1. I am terrified of storms too, although I miss them! I am from Indiana, moved out to California.. I think I hear thunder twice a year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That stinks! I like a mild thunder storm every now and than. At least your safe from twisters!

      Delete
  2. Stinkin' weather!! I have a motorcycle helmet to help get me through! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh man, tornadoes TERRIFY me! I live in Ohio, and we had a tornado on Sunday afternoon, completely out of the blue. I heard the sirens and looked outside and saw the clouds rotating. The tornado touched down less than a mile from us. And we live in a second and third floor townhouse with NO place to safely hide. I feel your pain!

    ReplyDelete