Monday, February 27, 2012

Monday Memories

I’m feeling a little sentimental today.

Not much has happened in my little corner of the world so I thought I would share a memory.

I talk about my dog all the time, but for those of you that are new, I’d like to introduce you to Kosmo:



Isn’t he a cutie!

Early in my childhood I was petrified of dogs all animals, epically chucky cheese (but that’s another story). I would practically climb up my mother every time we passed a four legged creature.

In 2nd grade I was invited to a sleepover with a girl from my daycare. She was in 3rd grade. It was probably my first sleep over away from home. All the girls were older and way “cooler” than me.

At one point during the night I had to go to the bathroom so bad! I sprinted up the stairs and just as I made it into the bathroom, the other girls were behind me with two dogs. (they were little dogs, probably Pomeranians) They locked me in the bathroom with both of the dogs. I jumped on the counter and screamed for them to open the door, they just sat outside and laughed. My bladder was at maximum capacity, I’m sure you can guess what happened next. I peed my pants, straight through my pajamas, on the counter, with the dogs barking and older girls laughing. I remember it so vividly. I was humiliated. I don’t remember how I got out of the bathroom or what else happened that night but it was terrible.

My fear of dogs ended in 5th grade when I met Kristen. Her family had FOUR Rottweilers and a Great Dane. I’m not sure how it happened but I was talked into coming over to her house for a sleepover. Unlike the first group of girls, Kristen and her family were sensitive to my fear. Eventually, I was comfortable around her pets and began to love animals.

In 6th grade I convinced my mom to let me get a dog, a Maltese. My friend, Briana, had a Maltese so of course I had to have one. They are the most wonderful pets. They don’t shed and they are beautiful!

At first, my Mom wasn’t into the idea but she made a deal with me. She agreed to get me a Maltese if I made straigt A’s all year. Gulp. This hadn’t happened before. Up unitil that point I was a mediocre student, but I came through with my end of the bargain and made it all year with straight A’s (which didn’t happened again until college y’all!)



Kosmo has been with our family for a long long time. None of us could imagine life without him! My Mom claims that she is Kosmo’s mommy now (but we all know who his real mommy is)! He is such a lover and can make me smile in the darkest of times.

So let’s take some time and appreciate our furbabies! Maybe give your loved one an extra treat? Or a long rub on the belly? Or a walk? (or in our case, let him hump all his toys tonight? (yes Mom, even the Husky) Haha)



Happy Monday!

5 comments:

  1. My puppy, well she's 15 so not quite puppy, is my best friend!! I love her more than life itself. I don't know what I would do without her. Your baby is so cute!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I also tagged you in my post! http://classyinkc.blogspot.com/2012/02/your-it.html

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Brittney. :) I love dogs like you and when I was little I was terrified like you too. I would scream my head off when one was around. They would run after me but never hurt me. Now I see that they just wanted to play! Now I have 8 dogs. I find them living in ditches, starving on streets or living in old abandoned houses. I try to find homes but sometimes I just can't find the perfect home so I keep them! They are the light of my life. Only one I bought. She is a Westie, looks like your little white dog. She is the sweetest thing and so much fun. I have a Chow and her baby, Lucie who lived in the cotton fields. I have Jasper who also lived in the fields. Then there's Oliver, a Cocker Spaniel who was starving and has seizures. He is doing very well now! We found Phoebe, a Dachound mix living in the mountains running free. No one wanted her so they told me to take her. Leo was living in an abondoned house and it took me 2 months to get him because he was so scared. When I gave him pizza and a hamburger he gladly laid down at my feet. :) Oh yeah, Betty is a Bull dog mix who was living inside a ditchbank. They all have their own beds and live in the house and outside too in dog houses when they want to be outside. I have 2 rescued cats and we rescued a horse. Am I nuts or what?? I love it though. They are truely my life. Good thing my husband likes animals! I loved reading your blog. Animal lovers are the best. God bless...

    ReplyDelete