Wednesday, January 4, 2012

A new attitude

It has been such a challenge getting used to adulthood.


It wasn’t until today that I realized “Hey, I think this town/life might just work!”

Don’t get me wrong, I’ve been very optimistic about my life here. I even fell in love with a hypothetical cowboy y’all!

But…

In college, my life was filled with sorority events, studying, classes and social outings. I used to complain about my busy life. I was always on the go.

It’s been hard adjusting to a slower paced lifestyle. Coming home (every day) to an empty apartment, at 5:00, with nothing to do, absolutely drives me nuts! My evenings used to be jammed packed. Now the only thing “jammed packed” in my life is my DVR!

Not to mention the fact that I thrive in urban environments (or used to *ah hem* last weekend). I never thought I would be living in a small town.

Also, I used to feel needed by my sorority sisters. After graduation I felt deserted. No one needed me anymore. No one looked to me for advice. No one called to fill me in on the latest gossip.

Basically, I’ve been booored!

But over the past few months something has changed. I’m making friends, joining organizations and getting involved in the community.

So what happened today that caused this revelation?

Lunch. I had lunch with new friend, Melissa, who moved her a little before I did and experienced the same feelings.

Melissa is extremely urban, loves the city and hates being bored!

She “took the bull by the horns” and did something about it! She’s been here a year (maybe? I’m not sure but I don’t think it’s been that long) and ALREADY chairing local committees.

We (along with some other amazing women) have begun a book club. Right now we are reading The Lost Wife by Alyson Richman.

So we are at lunch discussing the fabulous parties and get-togethers we want to throw and it hit me! I have finally and officially become a citizen of Ada, Okla.

This is home.

I have friends! I have plans! I am done feeling sorry for myself! I am going to “take the bull by the horns” and live my life!

I think I just needed a little push.

So, thank you Melissa for inspiring me to follow in your footsteps and get involved!

No comments:

Post a Comment