Thursday, January 12, 2012

The epic struggle to get out of bed.


This has been true for me since middle school.


I’ve never been a “morning person.” I’m constantly running late in the mornings and it is because I decide to close my eyes for five more minutes. I tell myself I’m “visualizing” my outfit, trying to decide what to wear…Why do that from your closet when you can do it in bed?

WRONG! I always fall back to sleep.

One of the most epic fights between me and my mother was over this problem. I think I was in high school. Every morning my mom would come to the top of the stairs and tell us it’s time to get up (She could see all of our rooms from that position). She would leave and I would close my eyes for “five more minutes.” After a while she would come back up the stairs (probably because it was too quite, I think my brother and sister did the same thing) and yell at us to get out of bed…It was a cycle that happened several times each morning.

One day I was exceptionally lazy. I probably got out of bed 15 minutes before the bus came. I guess my mom got tired of going up and down the stairs so she was yelling at me from the living room. She probably yelled “You’re going to miss the bus!!” five or six times! By this point I was frantic! I knew she was right. I knew I had too much to do, not enough time and her yelling wasn’t helping. I was a teenage girl. My looks were everything, my hormones were raging and my tongue was poisonous.

So my blood pressure was rising, I was very exhausted (probably because I was up all night instant messaging my senior boyfriend that my mother forbid me to see. Lol remember AIM? This was before texting! Back in the Nokia days!) and I was beyond annoyed with my mom.

On my way out the door my mom was yelling “You’re going to have to find a ride to school if you miss the bus because I’m not taking you!” so I cut her off by yelling back “SHUT UP!!” (Bit of advice to all the young ladies out there…don’t ever tell your mom to shut up…and if you do, move to a new country)

I ran as fast as I could to my bus stop, praying to God that I don’t miss the bus, that my mom isn’t behind me with the car ready to run me over, that a nice family in Australia would adopt me, that maybe my best friend, Kristen, would let me move into her closet…all the time never looking back.

Thank goodness I didn’t miss the bus. I spent the entire day with an upset stomach and a lump in my throat. I knew my life would be over at 5:30 that night when my mom got off of work. I said my final goodbyes to all my friends and went home. That afternoon I called my Dad; he had already spoken to my mom and knew what was coming for me. You know its bad when you’re divorced parents have talked (on the phone, in the middle of the day, at work) about you’re punishment.

I don’t really remember exactly what went down between me and my mom that night but I can remember getting up an hour early every day (for probably months) to “clean my room.” And I think mom gave me an alarm clock so I could wake myself up.

Oh the joys of being a teenager. I don’t miss it.

All this to say, I totally understand that picture!


2 comments:

  1. I can totally relate to this post! I'm NOT a morning person. At. All. I HAVE to snooze and end up running late. It's a vicious cycle but I can't seem to break it. I think some people just aren't wired to be up and at it early in the morning!

    Hope you are having a great week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm having a good week! :-) thank you!

      I even try putting my alarm on the other side of the room so I have to get up to turn it off! I always get back in bed!

      Have a good weekend Savannah!

      Delete