Sunday, June 19, 2011

Not So Orr-Dinary

Yesterday was the annual Orr family lake party.  Every June, the entire Orr family spends a Saturday at my cousin’s lake house eating and playing in the water.  If you have ever met one of my “Orr relatives” you would know that we have VERY similar personalities (Especially my Dad and his brothers).  We are all neat freaks, we can get a little grouchy at times, we like to eat, and we love each other.  When my uncles and dad are together I feel as though I am watching comedy central, they are constantly mumbling something hilarious under their breath.   Last December we went to Colorado for Christmas.  Oh how I wish I had been blogging at that time. 
Back to yesterday…I understand that I am in the “real world” now and it is time to start my post-college life.  However, I don’t understand how that is linked to having a boyfriend.  Yesterday I had at least 6 people ask if I had a boyfriend.  I am not a stranger to this question.  It seems like I have been asked this since I was 14 or 15 but it is beginning to sting a little bit.  Their response when I say “no” is normally: “Well you have plenty of time…or you will meet someone soon!”  I didn’t know there was an exportation date on being single!!   I wanted to respond with:  do you know how hard it is to find a guy that appreciates that famous Orr “clean freak- tells it like I see it-strong willed” personality?!?!  But that would have been rude so of course my response was simply a smile. 
Thanks to my Dad, my standards for boys are pretty high.  Today is Father’s Day.  I have been blessed beyond what I deserve with my Dad.  He is the best listener, advice giver, hugger, and the list goes on forever.  He has been there in the darkest times and the best times.  He knows how to make me feel like the most beautiful girl in the world.  He knows how to step aside and let me make my own mistakes.  He doesn’t judge when I make those mistakes, he has never said “I told you so,” and he always helps me find a solution.  He has never left or hung up without saying “I love you” (even when he is mad).  My Dad is constantly trying to embarrass me and my siblings by dancing or singing in public, he never missed a game or a show, he is our biggest fan.  I am so LUCKY that he is mine.  I love him so much.  Thanks Dad for all you do!  I hope you know how much your presence in my life has influenced every decision, memory, and accomplishment I have made.  I love you. 

No comments:

Post a Comment